All photos are by courtesy of Guy's granddaughter Mrs Julie Malam.Model steam locomotives have been made from the time of the invention of the full size ones in the 1840's, often by railway apprentices. Examples can be seen in the National Railway Museum at York, but complete passenger carrying miniature railways did not appear in Britain until the early 1900's. Remarkably, three of the very first were in Sheffield and in particular, one of them was in Dore. It belonged to Guy Mitchell of Brook House, Grove Road - coincidentally only about about a mile from the present Abbeydale Miniature Railway and a stone’s throw from what was then the Midland Railway’s main line from Sheffield to Manchester. Mitchell’s 'Brook House Miniature Railway' was built in his extensive back garden and his house was extended to accommodate his coal fired steam locomotive, carriages and workshop. Dams on the Old Hay Brook behind his garden were built to provide a stream feeding a lake, complete with a rowing boat. There was a tunnel and signals. Guy died young and family eventually moved away. Brook House late became part of Miss Trott's private girls' school. Guy Mitchell was a true pioneer in the history of miniature railways, owning the first of the Northampton based W. J. Bassett-Lowke's 7¼" gauge LNWR Precursor class 4-4-0 live steam locos, designed by the famous Henry Greenly.
All the photos are shown by kind permission of Guy Mitchell's granddaughter, Mrs Julie Malam. Copies are lodged with the local history Societies.